Just some personal observations on what seems important, amusing, entertaining, uplifting or just somehow worthy of note in the realm of music, art, popular culture and not so popular culture.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Met Opera's Wozzeck
I saw the Met Opera's Wozzeck last Wednesday. I couldn't help but be struck with how symphonic an opera it is. The big dramatic and emotional climax is in the famous interlude after Act II, Scene IV where Wozzeck drowns himself. Overall, the performance had the impact it should, but I was struck how I missed the somewhat overarticulated reading of the German, that characterizes the Boulez recording. The relatively prosaic diction of the Doctor and the Captain took away some of the black humor for me. I know some don't like the exaggerated readings in the Boulez recording, but I got very used to it, and always hear the parts done that way in my head. I guess I should get acquainted with some of the other admired recordings out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment